Sunday, February 1, 2009

Elluminate Connection Issues Resolved

My wife recently began using Elluminate to teach some of her college classes. The program is Java based and runs through a web browser. I could run the program on two other computers, but my wife's desktop.

Upon initiating the program, it could connect directly to the Elluminate.com server, but failed to authenticate. It produced the following error: " Timed out while waiting for the client. Try again? Yes, Cancel".

Elluminate telephone support suggested the problem was unopen ports on the router firewall. I suggested this wasn't the problem because Elluminate could in fact connect outside the router. It seemed the problem was a setting on the computer running Elluminate since it, the client, timed out in responding to the Elluminate server.

Solution: Updated the driver for my network card (Belkin N1 USB) and updated my Java software to the latest version. I also ran three registry cleaners (CCleaner, Glary tools, and Eusing, all freeware), and Mal-ware Remover (also freeware). I don't know if one or all these actions fixed the problem, but the problem is now resolved. The system authenticates immediately upon setup. I did not have to open any ports on the router.

No comments: